Saturday, August 16, 2008

Things in three's?

I've heard a theory that things happen in three's - weddings, births, deaths. I hope this isn't true. Why you ask? Because right now another one of my uncle's is on life support. My mom and many other family members are flying out to Seattle today to be there before they pull the plug. What is going on? Within 2 months there are 2 deaths on my mom's side of the family. My goodness. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Sadly, the odds are against us. See, my mom's side of the family is HUGE. She has 11 siblings, 5 half brothers and sisters and 5 full siblings. The half-siblings are all getting up in there in years. They're all over 75 and for some, their health isn't so good.
I wasn't even prepared for this one. With my last uncle, he was sick for months and we knew it was coming. This time not so much. Here's what happened. Monday my uncle had a mild stroke. He was doing fine after a few days and then he went home. There was a good prognosis and everyone said he'd be okay. I breathed a sigh of relief. I thought everything would be okay. I didn't think anything of it after that. On Thursday he wasn't feeling well again so they forced him to go back to the hospital. They determined he suffered another mild stroke so he had to stay in the hospital again. He went into the bathroom and didn't come out for a long time. They went into the bathroom to check on him and he was on the floor. He had a major heart attack. That's when he went on life support. My mom called me at work Friday morning to book her a flight to Seattle which shocked me. At this point I thought my uncle was fine. No one told me he was back in the hospital. I might not be able to make to Seattle in time. I have things going on at work that I just can't miss. I'm going to leave Monday night, but have to be back in San Diego by Saturday afternoon. I really hope things to happen in three's. :(

1 comment:

That Girl said...

my thoughts are with you and your family right now - as for things happening in threes, I never heard it as three deaths, just three bad things. So technically you're done. You've had a death, a stroke, and a heart attack. Time for things to start looking up.